I’ll let you in on a secret: I’m not a huge fan of Valentine’s Day. Now that is not to say I don’t love LOVE, I just feel that love should be celebrated everyday of the year.
I am a Justin Bieber fan and he had the right idea a few years ago: “Baby, you should go and love yourself.” Although I am quite certain it is different context altogether, I do think loving yourself is sound advice from the Bieb!
My point is that in order to love someone else, or even BE loved fully by someone else, we must first love ourselves.
Whether you have been married for 30 years to your honey, have a special someone that might be the one, or you are spending Valentine’s Day without a partner, please take time to learn to love yourself. When you do, you will be more lovable and ready to share love with your partner or potential partner.
Without getting too personal, my story of learning self-love and incorporating self-care began after my divorce. It was time for me to learn to love me and become a little more selfish with my time and my attention in order to heal and let go of past bitterness that had made love a four letter word.
Regardless of relationship status, I encourage you to take some time on this day when we celebrate love and find some ways to show love to YOU. I guarantee, when self love becomes a priority, it is much easier for others to love you AND you will have the capacity to show more authentic love to those you do love; be it your partner, kids, or other family and friends.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.
- Pamper Yourself: The most obvious choice for self love is with some extra pampering. Give yourself a manicure, book a facial or massage, or take a long bubble bath. Heck, throw in those rose petals, play your favorite relaxing playlist, and pour a glass of champagne to toast your amazing self!
- Buy Yourself Flowers: I will always find an excuse for fresh flowers. They don’t have to expensive and they are a mood booster. If you don’t have a good vase, get one to keep for a fresh bouquet from the grocery store, or to use for your own picked flowers later this spring.
Call your favorite florist and send yourself flowers – there is no shame in that game either!
- Cook Yourself Something: Go all out and make your favorite meal or dessert. Don’t skimp either! Use the good dishes and make the presentation Instagrammable.
You deserve to eat well and enjoy the process.
Charcuterie board anyone?
- Watch Your Favorite Rom Com: Don’t like rom coms, binge your favorite season of Friends. Make it something fun, sappy, and romantic if that’s what you enjoy. Or, maybe you’re craving some mystery or a good old scare-fest.
Just watch what YOU want, and keep the remote.
- Do Something Creative for Yourself: Been waiting to start that DIY project? Sit down and do it. Create something for fun. For you. For no reason. Even if you don’t think you are artistic, you can doodle, practice your handwriting, or just get an adult coloring book and color.
Check out Blick Art Materials if you need some creative inspiration.
- Write Yourself a Love Letter: Get out a notebook and write all the positive traits you possess. Write the love letter you wish you were receiving from that special someone or that someone you haven’t even met yet. It is tough, but it is therapeutic. List your talents and good deeds.
Let go of the self-consciousness and reserve and talk about yourself like you are talking about someone else.
- Take Yourself on a Vacation: Or a staycation during a pandemic! Book an AirBnb and take a vacation somewhere you have been wanting to go. It might be down the road in the next town over or across the ocean to another country. (Use the AirBnB link for savings off your first booking)
Travel to a new place you have wanted to visit. Invite a friend or take a solo trip.
- Make Yourself Appointments: Have you been putting off those annual check-ups? Make the calls and prioritize them in your schedule.
It is easy to put those off, but make the medical appointments, call your accountant to get the taxes done, and schedule the vehicle maintenance.
- Move Yourself: If you have let your physical health take a backseat, start moving. Something as simple as taking a walk, or stretching in bed before you get up is better than nothing. Turn on your favorite tunes and dance or try a new fitness style and see how you like it.
There is nothing like a little sore muscle to show love to your body! Also, if you need a pair of new leggings (with pockets) to motivate you and are less than $20 and so similar to our favorite Lululemons, try these from Amazon. The navy blue pair have become my favorite go-to.
- Get Yourself to Bed: There is no greater way to show yourself love than giving yourself permission to rest. Get those 8 hours of sleep, or take an afternoon nap if you need it. You will be more refreshed mentally and physically when you are getting the rest you need.
Obviously, there is a myriad of ways to show yourself love on Valentine’s Day and the other 364 days of the year. In fact, I started this post with 5 ways to show love to yourself and quickly realized I could not narrow it down and I finally stopped at 10!
I have learned all the ways to love myself over the past few years and I truly believe we all deserve to be loved.
It is okay to be selfish once in a while and focus on loving yourself. When you do, you will become a better lover of others and be more open to receiving love in return from those who love you.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link n