There are so many ways to be more creative in everyday life outside of traditional art. Typically when we think of being creative we immediately think of being artistic or making artwork. However, that is only a part of being creative.
Dictionary.com defines creativity as the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc.; originality, progressiveness, or imagination.
Being creative can help push the limits of our perspectives within different areas of life from parenting, problem solving, career choices, and being resourceful and adaptable in a variety of situations.
For me, it’s about exploring different areas of making as an outlet for ideas and expression through words and thoughts. As a self-proclaimed multi-passionate creative, I do not consider myself to be a master of anything specific, except for my curiosity to try to new things, explore new places, and meet all the people! (Yes, I’m an Enneagram 7 and an ENFP)
I shared 10 Ways to Be Creative When You’re Not Artistic which explores more ways to find your artsy creative side. However, I found that there were so many other ways to uncover creativity in life that were not focused on traditional art.
So how does one flex their creativity muscle?
Besides various art forms, there are so many other ways to be creative.
Here are 21 ways to be creative in life that are not art:
- Cook a new recipe
- Redecorate a space in your home
- Listen to a new genre of music
- Read a book in a different genre than you typically read
- Dance to your favorite song
- Walk outside in nature or in a new place
- Go thrifting
- Wear something you wouldn’t typically wear
- Buy a new plant
- Write a letter to your future self
- Sign up for a class for fun or to learn a new skill
I am excited about a new partnership with a premium online education platform, Skillshare. They are offering a free month of premium membership for my readers. (that’s you, friend!)
If you’ve never explored the
hundreds thousands of Skillshare offerings, this is the perfect opportunity to try something new and creative for free, on me!
Skillshare has classes for anything from digital and traditional art, productivity, writing, cooking, gaming, HTML and web design, languages, and more. There are even classes to help you skill up in Excel, Powerpoint, and other business related areas.
Any of their classes would be a great way to spark something creative!
More ways to be creative in everyday life:
- Visit a local art exhibit, museum, or library
- Take a new route or visit someplace you’ve never been
- Buy yourself fresh flowers
- Play – a toy, a game, dress up, just play for fun
- Write morning pages for a month
- Unplug for the day, the week, the month, etc.
- Change your daily routine
- Keep a notebook or notes app list of ideas
- Send a handwritten letter to an old friend or family member for no reason
- Be yourself and make mistakes and embrace them and your uniqueness
That last one is so tough. Trust me, I know, but we are truly the only individuals who can unleash the creativity that is inside of ourselves.
If you try any of these to find ways to incorporate more creativity in your life, please let me know in the comments or drop me an email email@example.com. I love hearing stories from others who find ways to improve their lives through self discovery and personal development; especially in creative ways.